13 December 2007

I'll Be Home for Christmas

So we're growing closer to D-day as my work friend likes to say.

We made a ton of progress last night with packing. All that's left are the items we need day-to-day like soap, shampoo, toothbrushes, sheets, um, the bed, hair products. There are my brown boots that don't give me a hard time when I wear them, my basket of knitting...since I don't ever really knit but would like to, and then a bunch of breakables in the kitchen.

Bub moved the sofas so that they face each other closely and hover near the remaining stray empty boxes.

There is dust and there are bunnies and there are also the turtles who must wonder what's going on.

We have one final item regarding the Christmas cards. Oh, and we're about 10 cards too short on supplies. But no big deal. They're the least important people anyway. Kidding.

Tomorrow I'll work a half day after we do a final walk through of our house. Then we'll close. And we'll release an old man of his childhood residence. Together Bub and I will begin a flood of new memories.

I think that although it is strange to be moving during such an off-season that the fact that it's Christmastime is helping. The XM carols, the decorations I see as I drive my long commute home. To think that this time next week I'll be working my last day of 2007 and have a mere 15 minutes to trek to and from our new house to the office sounds so nice.

I'm a bit anxious about settling and decorating. I like getting things done, crossed off my list, never to be thought about again. But we move in Saturday after an afternoon of cleaning tomorrow and we will not have yet steamed off the drab wallpaper or torn down the 60's drapes. In time, these things will get done. I want to get a feel for the space first. We moved into our condo after painting every inch of it. It was a little rushed towards the end. But since it was small, it was doable.

Not that our house is a McMansion, no, it's rather a cozy little abode that we are so excited to make ours, but all I wanted was to be home for Christmas. Fitting in renovations and painting would have interrupted the moving chain of events. And so we will be home for Christmas, we will be.

So I'm signing off until next week. Because I won't have a chance to write sooner and because, well, our Internet will be disconnected and I won't be at work either.

So until then, belt out some carols, drink some egg nog if you like it, and shop 'til you drop--but sneak in a fun gift for yourself. And if you live near where I do--good luck with the fluffy white stuff coming our way.

7 comments:

the fanny said...

Ooh, I'll miss you! Best of luck with the move! Can't wait to see pictures!

mainlyclearskies said...

Good luck with the move! Have you thought about what kind of color schemes you want in the new house? That's the really fun part - dreaming/scheming/planning for decorating.

Merry Christmas!

I'm Kate said...

Aw, that was really nice. Good luck with the move! I wish I were around to help, but I'll be in VT doing some wedding planning. But I'm so excited for you guys! What an awesome thing to be moving into your first house. Ahhh!

I will talk to you soon!

Clink said...

Best of luck with the move! I can't wait to see photos of the new place. I have such House Lust.

Anonymous said...

I am hapy for you that you're moving and by the new year you'll be settled - I know you are itching to get a lot of remodeling done but just enjoy the season and know that things will fall into place - your post was very touching - Merry Christma!

kwarterlifecrisis said...

Good luck with the move. I love the idea of someday making memories with the man I love in a home that is solely ours. Merry Christmas! :)

Michelle and the City said...

good luck moving and enjoy the holidays! :)